Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Music and Psalms.

Howdy, y'all, these songs are some of the more meaningful ones to me lately. Picking three was hard but you know, you gotta do what you gotta do. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


1.Drunk snake---Dirt Nap *this is the link to the song*

This song grabs my attention because of the kind of left-fielded feel in the lyrics. Like a Serpent that's going to enslave mankind? Cool. Sure, maybe you can say there could be something deeper but I'd rather take at face value for what it is. Fun. The production is less than stellar, but I also feel like it would lose some of the "live" feeling it carries with it. The song-writing itself is scatterbrain in it's approach, which I find appealing because I find myself bored of listening to a set of phases of verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-bridge-chorus and the lack of variety.





2. Straight Edge---Minor Threat

Straight Edge is a song that is against obsessions and addictions because Ian MacKaye (vocalist, lyric-writer, typical vocal stuff) noticed when he was a kid that the only way kids his age (18 at the time) "rebelled" was through self-destructive means of alcohol, drugs, and promiscuous sex. He wasn't into it so he made this song. It became a movement to be against these things, rebelled in a different way that doesn't harm oneself.


3. Honestly?--American Football



Honestly, American Football's whole album is stellar, but if I had to pick a favorite, I guess I'd pick this one. The use of beautiful guitar lines accompanying beautiful vocals with beautifully simple drums allow some the most beautiful, relaxing, and sad music made by this band. There are hundreds of bands trying to imitate this sound, but nobody quite gets it like these guys. I'm a fan of minimal lyrics to emphasize on the music, which these guys pulled off beautifully.

No comments:

Post a Comment